Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Barney's Mind - Episode 1

Barney's Mind on YouTube

S'Ok, so this is going to be long and feel free to not read it. However, if you are as crazy as I am and/or regularly allow the internet to suck the life out of you like a digital vampire or something, then the following is a rant on how cool Ross Scott is and how lame I am yet how I still try my damnedest to succeed at everything (therefore really succeeding at nothing though I suppose being the ultimate 'jack-of-all-trades' would be pretty cool).

Anyway, so in my epic quest to become the ultimate 'jack-of-all-trades' I am finishing up my bit with automobiles and am now moving onto the realm of digital comedy. I didn't actually intend to try comedy or whatnot at all. Basically it all started when I stumbled (huh, if you lose the 's' off of stumbled then you get tumbled which almost works) across Freeman's Mind. The first episode was okay, and his Civil Protection stuff was okay, but about the time I hit the third episode I just couldn't stop laughing.

It was just so funny to me because I used to do that! When I would play through games I would think to myself all the time about things like "What purpose does this room have? Is this a box smashing room?" and so on. However this was back before youtube (YES! Such a time did exist scientists tell us) and I only had a crappy webcam and had no clue what fraps or demos or anything really was. However, I had halflife and it's ridiculous level design and I also had Kings Quest 9 and it's ridiculous dialog and between the two me and my brother had quite a few laughs misquoting lines and making fun of level design. Oh, and Jedi Knight 2, seriously, if I somehow get all the way through Barney's Mind I am TOTALLY doing Jedi Knight 2, that would be amazingly funny, heck, I wouldn't have to do anything really, the comedy would write itself.

Okay, so to sum up, I find that kind of humor really funny, making fun of things like poor level design and dialog and whatever, probably why zero punctuation (google it) is so funny to me. So, when I saw Freeman's Mind it was like someone had made my dream comedy and I was content, at least until I realized the next day that he doesn't post new ones except about ONCE A MONTH! BLARG, that's way too long to wait, hell, I chewed out BM-EP1 in about 3 days. So, I decided that just for shits and giggles I would make a Barney's Mind to kind of go along with FM. It wasn't supposed to be anything but for my personal enjoyment but as I thought about it I decided that I would try my hand at doing a series similar to FM only with a much faster posting rate (maybe once a week or something). So, I contacted Ross Scott, asked him if he was cool with it, he said ok and that he has no plans of doing anything beyond HL1 at this time, and I was off.

I completed the first episode within about a day and I hated it. To me the dialog was boring/annoying, the pace was off, the writing was unimaginative (as I was trying too hard to be Ross Scott), and it was generally not funny. So, I redid the dialog 3 times and finally said screw it. So I posted it figuring that it would suck just as much as I thought it would. Well, it did but it didn't. Most people seemed to think it's ok, but the mere fact that it's 'ok' just blows my mind. I just don't think my voice and personality work with this kind of humor.

So, I was going to abandon this after episode 1 but I decided that the tram ride just isn't funny and the real humor pie exists after the resonance cascade event and also that maybe I can get better cause if someone could like BM-EP1 then I'm sure people will like the later stuff.

So, as it is right now, I think I'm going to try a few more times, I'll probably go to a bit after the resonance cascade and then if I still am not happy or if I don't have people beating down my door with praise then I will hang up my short-lived comedy hat (maybe I'll try adding sharpshooting next to my jack-of-all-trades skillset...)

3 comments:

  1. whats wrong with you i have a bump from laughing (going to get my friends and a sledgehammer and kick down your door with praise)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No its funny as long as you can provide FRESH content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your release dates ARE SO MUCH better than Freeman's mind

    ReplyDelete