Monday, July 6, 2009

Live Q&A stuff

So, if KrimsinYT comes to join us it looks like the Q&A will be either monday or tuesday of next week. If KrimsinYT doesn't come then it will be this friday.

Now, I've figured out how to record sound using skype but the problem is that it only allows 10 people in a conference call. Suck, that's no good. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way I could do VOIP with something other than skype.

I was thinking of running a vent server off of my PC but, assuming we have 50 or so people, I doubt my 7Mbps internet will be able to handle the load with any decent quality.

We could do the skype thing and have once someone asks a question they leave but that doesn't seems fun (though I will of course record and post the Q&A for those who miss it) but I guess it's a good fall back.

Anyway, any ideas?

EDIT: I may have found a solution. Using an internet radio authoring program called SHOUTcast. Basically Krimsin and I would do a skype chat but I would have a dummy account listening in recording the audio as well as streaming it live to the internet. You guys would access it like any other internet radio (through something like windows media player or winamp).

Anyway, so I'm going to look into this more and I'm going to try a test run soon and I could use a few people to help me out to make sure it works and to try to work out any bugs. Oh, and I set up a poll to see how many people are going to actually be there asking questions. For this poll lets assume that it's going to be monday at 8 PM EDT.

EDIT AGAIN: Stupid internet, apparently Skype used to allow only 10 people in a conference call but I just checked and the current version allows up to 24 people. That should be plenty and anyone who gets left out will have to just wait for the recording.

14 comments:

  1. My friend has a vent server that only he is ever on. let me ask him if it will be ok. he might beable to hold about 50 or more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why dont you just live stream it with stick cam or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A vent server would be cool.

    Yeah, I would love to live stream it but I'm not sure how. If someone knows of a way you can stream live audio from something to the internet then that would be awesome, the trouble is it would have to allow for KrimsonYT and myself to be on at the same time so any of those streaming webcam services wouldn't work.

    If someone knows of a service that allows me to stream the audio from a computer then I could set up a dummy person on skype that would stream the sound to the internet and then Krimsin and myself could talk over skype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, could you upload this to youtube? Just the audio. If you can't it's fine, I just can't go to the live Q&A. I have plans :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I plan on uploading the full audio to either youtube or another site (probably another site as I would have to split it up to fit into youtube's 10 min limit).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't you guys use UStream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vinh: wont allow 2 people to host at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 8 p.m. EDT is east coast time, which would make it 5 p.m. california time, right?


    I'm bad with time zones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a 3 hour time difference from coast to coast, so 8 PM on my side will be 5 PM on your side (8-3=5).

    ReplyDelete
  10. guys couldn't you use Blogtv? That allows someone to video stream and audio stream, it has a chat box like ustream and it allows more than one person to talk at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Havn't heard of it before, how can it do two people at once, I couldn't find that feature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IRAMightyPirate,
    i got some problems with the time i wana find out what time the live Q&A is but i need a GMT +? for it to see if i can join is there a way that you can give that to me ?

    ReplyDelete