Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just got back from New York City...

...where I was interviewed for Good Morning America!

So, long story short, I went down there and was interviewed because I'm learning Na'vi. Crazy awesome. The segment will air on the March 5th showing of Good Morning America on ABC.

Seriously, this will probably be the last update I make regarding Avatar or Na'vi since I'm sure you guys are sick of it but I figured this would be interesting enough to post it. After this craziness dies down I'll finish working on re-doing Barney's Mind - Episode 1, I hope to have that up soon.

Anyway, so Good Morning America contacted us at learnnavi.org and asked us if some of us would be interested in doing an interview with them of which we replied yes (duh). So, they had two meet-ups, one on the west coast (Southern Cal) and one on the east coast (NYC). Unfortunately nobody could get the time off for the east coast interview. So, I participated over webcam with the west coast one a bit and also got to chat over the phone with Dr. Paul Frommer, the guy who worked with James Cameron to invent the Na'vi language. So, after that excitement I was pretty stoked.

Then, GMA contacted us and asked if they moved the east coast time around and if they gave us a location to interview in if we could do it, which we could. So, my friend Bryce from the website and I got a few people together and we made plans to head down. GMA wasn't going to provide us with anything so we had to find our own hotel, transportation, etc. However, at the last minute Bryce asked them politely that since we were going through all this trouble if they could provide us with a hotel since we were going through all this trouble for them. They came back with getting us a room in the 5 star Millennium hotel near Times Square and giving us a private driver to take us to and from the interview! So, all stoked, the 3 of them car pooled up from the Baltimore area and I drove down from Maine.


8 hours of driving later, I was in Darien, CT. Commuter train from there over to NYC and around midnight I arrived in Grand Central Station in New York City. Not the first time I've been there but it's still a bit of a culture shock for me. So, I took a cab over to the hotel to meet with the other guys. We had some shenanigans with the room schedule (they booked us for the wrong day) but overall everything was going quite smoothly.



So, after getting settled in a the room a bit we all busted out the Na'vi. It was quite exciting and lots of fun. We mostly went over stuff for the interview but I could already tell this was going to be an awesome time. After about an hour of that, against everyone's better judgment, we went to the bar across the street that the bellman recommended. Awesome idea it was!


The bar was a tiny place, barely 10 ft wide, called Jimmy's Corner. However, it was amazingly awesome. The drinks were so cheap, $4 for a glass of Sam Adams and $8 for a shot of Petrone! The bartender was awesome and we chatted with her for a good hour. We also had fun busting out Na'vi and generally having a great time. Anyway, around 3 AM we decided to get back to the hotel seeing as we had to get up in 4 hours.


So, we all wake up, a few of us a little hungover and all of us tired. We go downstairs and wait for the car. It doesn't show up and we call our GMA contact to find out the not only was the room mis-scheduled but the car as well. Fun! So, we waited while she had a car promptly sent over. We made up for it by making great time over to the Bronx though. The driver was awesome and told us a bunch of interesting stories about the city, and some stories of past passengers he's driven for (including Cameron!)


We got to the place we were shooting, which was the Bronx Botanic Gardens, and it was more awesome then we could imagine! So amazing there, I had no idea such a place existing in NYC. So many exotic plants. I could spend hours just walking around there. Anyway, so after introductions we wait for them to get setup and we talk about how this going to work. We get mics put on and do a bunch of sound checks and then the interview starts.


First they had us all say "Good Morning America" in Na'vi (Trr Lefpom ma America) and then they did some Q&A one on one with each of us. That part went really well and they asked a lot of good questions and I think I answered them pretty well. After that, the main guy we were there to be with showed up, Mr. Sam Champion. So, we chatted a bit and talked about how this part would go and then dove right into it. Most of it was us teaching Sam how to speak Na'vi (he actually picked it up right away) and then we some group Q&A. We finished up with us talking to each other in Na'vi.


We then got driven back to the hotel and then over to the IMAX theater on 34th and Broadway. You get one guess as to which movie we saw. :P Actually, we got food first since we were starving but after that we saw the movie. We had lots of fun chatting about the movie (which, strangely, we hadn't really done yet) and had an awesome time there.


So after seeing Avatar in a full IMAX theater (which was AMAZING) we went back to the hotel, picked up our bags, said kiyevame (goodbye) and went our separate ways. I reversed my trip down, almost passed out driving around with only 4 hours of sleep at 2 in the morning, had to pull over and power nap twice because of it, but made it back home in one piece. Woke up the next morning and went to work (for some reason my hour commute doesn't seem so long of a drive anymore).


So, that's what I've been up to. I've been told we're going to have a 3 minute segment on the March 5th show (Friday) of Good Morning America on ABC, so check it out if you feel like being scared by the sight of 4 nerds on National TV (still bummed we didn't get any of the hot chicks there from the website).

P.S. Srane, oe lu "nerd" ulte tsa lu txantsan. Tsun nga fpivìl a fì'u lu hiyìk slä, oeru txoa livu, oe ke eltu si. Oe lu tsapo a oe lu ulte fì'u lamu txantsan.

(Yes, I am a nerd and it's awesome. You may think that this is silly but, forgive me, I don't care. I am who I am and this was excellent.)

65 comments:

  1. Wow. Lucky you. I'll definitely check it out. I've been to NYC but never like that!

    Oh, how fun that must've been. Did you guys meet Cameron himself?

    Can't wait to see new Barney's Mind. You should so put the opening titles for it in Na'vi. That'd be awesome.

    I'm working on my own Mind series presently. Not the best, but ok. It's going to be in Ep2.

    Kiyevame, Mighty Pirate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, booze is even cheaper down south ira, u ought to visit texas sometime, if u do look me bro, i can show u around some of my haunts

    there is particularly popular bar called Legends near where i live

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lucky son of a bitch. The most interesting thing I've done this week was a locker door hitting me in face, and you got to be interviewed by ABC? Bleehh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TheAbstractMan: Nice, I'm indirectly teaching people Na'vi. Kiyevame indeed. :) And no, I've never met Cameron but, at this point, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it wont happen sometime in the future. Heck, if this thing continues in it's absurd popularity who knows, I might meet him at some point. Maybe some of us might even get to tour the set of Avatar 2?

    @Beau: I've actually never been to Texas, if I somehow wander down there I'd love to check it out.

    @Anon: Indeed

    @Corky64: Well, you got a very personal interview with the locker at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude... I'm uber jealous.

    Did you check out Nintendo world while you were down there? (Just a hop, skip, and a jump from where they shoot the today show)

    still... I am Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You jerk, I will tune in while i'm in kentucky at my theatre conference, and I will find out what you truly look like
    Bwahahahahahahahaha
    P.S. No seriously though, I can't believe that happened, that is possibly more epic than cyh being an actual girl (and that still shocks me)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was afraid I'd have to miss the show because of classes, then I realized that I have the 5th off whether I had spring break or not. SQUEE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ever need a makeup job for Halloween/April Fools day/Casual Friday/etc. to look the part, just send a message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey ian you are so lucky oh and i donot mind if you talk more about navi on you blog also did you see the toy shop from home alone 2 or nintedo world also hows progress on "the making of" and bm ep1 redux

    ReplyDelete
  10. The making of is kind of on hold until I finish the remake of Episode 1 or so. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and at XsStudios I am planning on doing on a Na'vi costume for Halloween so I may take you up on that offer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol "painting your self blue" ian you can predict your own future =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey ian wich one is you in the pics?

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're on your way up ian
    (dont be surprised if fox and friends interviews you, not wanting to be showed up by good morning america


    ggamer
    or gabe

    ReplyDelete
  15. i did'nt sign up for to see how a guy, who doing a machinima of Half-life Blue Shift, seeing teh movie Avatar, learning Na'vi, wich some one had made up, you learning it, getting on national TV and all this, did'nt take more than a year, that's supriesing fast, if i'm gonan be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @2nd Anon: I'm the nerdy looking one :P

    I'm the guy in the 2nd to last picture and in the middle of the last picture.

    @3rd Anon: lol, that would be interesting.

    @4th anon: what? Not sure what you're saying here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you ian for telling me now i know who too look out for when the interview airs =) also dont be descourage by people that dislike navi this is your blog just remember that! if it will make things better perhaps make a difrent blog for navi but i perfer that you just have one thogh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look what someone said on Ross Scott's website, kind of mean but a little funny if you can laugh at yourself:
    One guy says: I think we should have a plan B in case Ross dies
    Another guy: To the guy who said to have a plan B, I think we should make a clone of Ross Scott by taking his DNA from his dead body at his funeral, then give the clone a computer and tell him to work on the next episode of FM, if he dosnt know what that is, then one of you tell him. If he turns out to be a mentally retarded clone of Freemans Mind, then we call it Barneys Mind and put it on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i thoght is was funny too no offens to you ian i liked your mind serys

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should post the episode on your youtube channel for those of us who miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol, no offense taken, that's hilarious. I'm well aware that I was/am the most amateur of the mind clones. That said, I don't think the original poster meant it in a mean way. Hah, very funny, thanks for that.

    @Krimsin: Totally.

    @Everyone else: GAH! Now the local ABC channel got wind of my soon to be appearance on GMA and they want in on the action. I'm not complaining though, more publicity for the language is a good thing in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey to Krimsin, isnt that illegal to post shows from TV on youtube? Isnt that like copy right infringement? VIACOM WILL FIND YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isnt posting episodes from a TV show on your account illegal? VIACOM WILL FIND YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  24. sorry for posting te same comment twice, My computer was freezing and running slow, I wasnt sure it posted,

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll throw up a link then or something. Either way, it will be online in one form or another.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW They are interviewing you on ABC too? No offense man, but isnt there any one else they can be intervieing?

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's what I said. I've asked them to contact some of the other people involved in the site. However, somehow I doubt this will be the last time any of us get on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey krimsion i looked up your blog i think you could get more coments if you opend it up for the public

    also ian dont worry about viacom i havent seen viacom go after anyone in awhile now

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man, Am I the only one who thinks all the Mind Creaters have like a mob? They all comment on and favorite each others stuff, WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING? KRIMSON, IAN, ARE YOU WITH THE MOB? IS ROSS THE DAWN?

    ReplyDelete
  30. you mean don right?

    ReplyDelete
  31. yeah, I can't spell mob terms...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Me on Good Morning America (striped shirt in the middle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKyOv_MktzE

    They cut so much but oh well, it came out pretty good. Now that's over with, time to get back to Barney's Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ian i cant read urls can you give me the titel
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good Morning America: Speaking the Language in 'Avatar'

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very... "interesting" interview. Good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey random question, were you expecting your series to run as far as Freemans Mind? Because Blue Shift is obviously shorter, and you breezed through the game faster with a bit less attention to detail. And sheperds and Freemans Mind are like a thrid done, and your series ended months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I didnt think you ever talked in that interview or wre explicity shwon on camera, but i could be missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  38. hey ian i just watched this funny review of avatar by redlettermedia on youtube you should look it up be wary thogh he only thoght the movie was avarage but youl lagh your head off at some of the stuff he says in the review

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well look who has a blog I do too. Its me Deltasquad62 from youtube.com. U should I love ur videos and just to tell u guys he is done with Barney's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  40. awesome hope u still have time for another series

    ReplyDelete
  41. @1st anon: Nope, I didn't expect it to run very long at all.

    @2nd anon: No, I wasn't, they cut so much out from when we interviewed.

    @3rd anon: I love redlettermedia and I loved his review. Honestly though, I felt that all the things he pointed out weren't really flaws more just decisions made by the director. That said though, HILARIOUS review, I was laughing my ass off the first time I saw it.

    @last anon: Me too, I've been so busy with so many things! Gah, totally gonna try to get the re-make of Barney's Mind - Episode 1 done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Nice, so being a nerd actually paid off =P

    lol, jk. But that is a really great break there.

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ridge: lol, and Bryce (long haired dude) said that he just picked up a chick at his gym when she recognized him from the GMA piece. Yep, being a "cool" nerd definitely has it's perks.

    ReplyDelete
  44. hey ian did you see the funny na'vi skit on oscer night?

    ReplyDelete
  45. ROFL, yes indeed. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. That was the best part of the Oscars IMO (and the worst was when a movie that nobody has seen beat out a movie that everybody has seen for both best director and best pictures, BOO academy! BOOOOO!)

    P.S. I shouldn't be surprised. The academy doesn't like sci-fi/fantasy films. I think Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is one of the few sci-fi/fantasy films to ever win best picture and/or best director, and it took 3 times to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  46. @IRA

    I just noticed you look (somewhat) like Barney Calhoun.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I suppose if I took off my glasses and gained 20 pounds I might.

    ReplyDelete
  48. hey ian new episode of freemans mind is up

    ReplyDelete
  49. your clock on hear is still messed up my time is 11:20

    ReplyDelete
  50. hi ian wasup? hows progress need any ideas in remaking episode 1 if you are look at boys in blue part 1 to 3 to help inspire you

    ReplyDelete
  51. Woohoo, I'm so popular now I even get my own Chinese spam bot! It's quite amusing that google translate actually has all those words.

    P.S. I'm leaving it up for hilarity but for the love of all that is good and awesome don't click on anything above, I have no idea where it will take you..

    ReplyDelete
  52. hey ian i saw this awsome youtube vid called the time machine by cmr be sure to ativate your anotation becuse its in the styal of choose your own adventer

    ReplyDelete
  53. technically a "cool" nerd is called a geek, which is what i am. and ian u have inspired me to start learning na'vi as well as making a special kind of mind series. it'll have to do with my latest game addiction, the wonderful world of wow. it uber cool. just will have to get the proper encoder, proxies, and other crap. might be able to do it all with xfire.

    ReplyDelete
  54. hey ian can you keep the doghnut joke in episode 1 that was the funnyest joke out of the first 5 parts so can you keep it thanks

    ReplyDelete
  55. The reason Avatar lost to the Hurt Locker is hurt locker has a good story, actors, and depth. Where as Avatar is just an amusement park ride, it is pretty obvious they didnt put ANY effort into the plot. Also, the fact that anyone thinks that Avatar should've won really scares me, this society is dissolving into a bunch of idiots who just want to see "OOh, flashy pretty 3-D pictures". In fact, I know this is kind of a stretch, but it reminds me when people actually LIKED Transformers 2, the worst movie I have ever seen. OK, comparing it to Transformers 2 is harsh, but Ian dude, you have NO TASTE IN MOVIES. Ever see Dances with Wolves? Also, one last thing. I remeber you saying to a anonymous guy you never talked or were shown on camera in good morning America. So you lied to the internet, you should've said "The back of my head and my friends are being interviewed on good morning America". Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  56. ira do u ever drop in on the teamspeak? for na'vi

    ReplyDelete
  57. um that was a littel harsh thare mate but i do understand whare your getting at but if ian likes this movie thats fine each one has thare own movie they like for example i do not like tim burtuns nightmare befor christmas but i like tim burtuns batman with jack nicholson as the joker

    ReplyDelete
  58. 1st Anon: Okay, first off, thank you for actually being moderately respectable. Most people don't do that. However you were moderately insulting, you don't even know my taste it movies and how did I lie on the internet? I was filmed for over 2 hours and they decided to cut most of it. I am talking on their though and you also see a bit of me on my webcam.

    Anyway, whatever, about the movie. First off, I agree, the plot is nothing new or special. However, what's really great about this movie is the acting and the delivery of the storyline. It's perfectly delivered with precise amounts of action, drama, and a brief but powerful romance.

    As for the plot though, how could you say they didn't put any work into it? If you mean the dumbed down basic principles of the plot well sure that's the same but I've never heard anyone complaining about The Last Samurai's plot which is the same as Pocahontas' plot which is the same basic plot from Fern Gully which is the same plot as Dance with Wolves...etc.

    Also, while I agree the 3D CGI doesn't make a movie (look at the ungodly abomination that is Star Wars - Episode 1) if you have a good movie then great CGI can really enhance the story. But even if Avatar was made with 1/10th it's budget it would still be a great movie, it just probably wouldn't be as popular.

    And yes, Transformers 1 and 2 were crap movies. I didn't really care for either of them. Oh, and I have seen Dances with Wolves, many times. It's a good movie but it's drawn out, a little too long and a little too much dialog. I found that the movie kind of buried itself in the amount of story it wanted to deliver. Still, good movie and I definitely enjoyed it. Make it about half an hour shorter and it would be great.

    About the Academy Awards though, first off, I love The Hurt Locker. 2nd best movie of the year IMO. However, the Academy Awards are supposed acknowledge movies that have advanced the motion picture industry. How can you honestly say that a movie that nobody saw ($22.3 million worldwide box office gross) advanced the industry more than a movie that will probably be the biggest grossing film ($2.64 billion and still going strong) for the next decade or more (or at least until Avatar 2 comes out)? In addition, Avatar has done something that will change the way we see movies and get people back into theaters rather than watching movies at home and that's the use of 3D. Sure it can be gimmicky if abused but truly good 3D movies really add a lot of depth to the movie experience.

    Honestly though, I'm not surprised. The academy has always hated sci-fi/fantasy movies. 2001 never won, Star Wars never won, Star Trek has never won (though I don't think it's ever deserved it), Alien(s) never won, Lord of the Rings took 3 try's before it won, etc.

    Anyway though, I love the movie because of how it made me feel after watching it. It brought out some powerful emotions that I've rarely felt from watching a movie. That's my opinion though and it's perfectly valid for people have to a differing one. However, what I truly love is the language. I haven't had this much fun and dedication to something in a very long time. I can't wait to master this language and go onto another one.

    ReplyDelete
  59. @Beau: Yes, on occasion. I've been busy lately with Barney's Mind and crazy work schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  60. While what you say is true, I dont see how Avatar will have any impact on film-making. The CGI is not as special as everyone makes it out to be, in fact, I'm pretty sure those crappy star wars prequels had the whole living breathing creature thing down, while large scale disaster CGI was perfected in 2012 (not exactly the best movie, but whatever). And no offense man, but how were the characters, romance, and actors any good? I can name MAYBE 1 good actor, and like 50 stereo typed bad ones. Good: The Female protagnoist (cant remeber) and MAYBE that soldier (the main cahracter, once again cant remember).
    The Bad: The colonel, the most stereo-typed and hammy performance ever in a movie, the coparate guy, once again a terrible cliched performance, most of the soldiers and human characters, and that girl scientist (STILL DONT KNOW THE NAME). Everyone else was ok at best...
    Plus, I dont know what you are talking about with "powerful romance" it was cliched and had no impact on me, and while I understand your taste in movies, I am wondering why this movie is so special if "Dances with Wolves" "District 9" and even titanic probably had more emotional impact on people who saw it. I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I neglect to see how Avatar is special in the least, as it is out-done in nearly every regard by other movies. My further thoughts on it are best described by this vlog from a web comedian named spoony: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/12/20/vlog-12-19-09-avatar/
    Keep in mind it is long and does not completley illustrate my thoughts (for example I am probably not as vulgar about it...) but if you dont care for what he says it is still very funny. It is like an hour long, so dont watch if you dont have one.

    ReplyDelete
  61. i dont mean to cause a ruckus or anything but why do you think star trek never desevrd it?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Mainly because Star Trek, while awesome, has never really had a perfect movie (about the closest was First Contact). Some movies had great acting but were let down by poor plot, some had great action, but poor acting, etc.

    I'd say that many of them should have been nominated though.

    ReplyDelete