Thursday, August 12, 2010

Avatar (I know...) and Harrison's Mind

So, I think I've recovered from my vacation. Back into my usual swing of sleep, work, hobbies, rinse and repeat.

Harrison's Mind is finally back on track and the vacation really helped me get my motivation up despite how long this has been taking. I've finally got all the gun audio tweaked the way I want it and I've found out how to remove Harrison's dialog and I think I've even figured out how to remove his little screams every time the pansy steps in some alien acid.

I've also been playing through a bunch of it testing things and working out plot points for later on and figuring out jokes I can setup. I'm really excited about this because this universe is so much more open and I have tons more avenues for jokes. With Barney's Mind, Barney already had a personality, Black Mesa was already set in canon, events were already known after HL1 and Blue Shift. With Harrison, I'm free to make tons of jokes (for example, a joke I thought of recently involving Larry the Cable guy being elected president, don't ask).

The other thing is I forgot how fucking scary this game was. Seriously, I've played this game like 20 times, I know where all the aliens come out of and what to expect. Still though, many times in the game I've been afraid to enter a room because I don't want to have something appear behind me and start trying to rip my face off. Also, this game is hard! Seriously, when a face-hugger starts running around the shit hits the fan! You just start unloading without stopping because if one of those fuckers leaps at you it's an instant kill (and the screen shows the little bastard sucking on your face from Harrison's POV, very creepy). And the aliens are no better, they can be taken out fairly easy but they move quickly and appear suddenly, a few swipes from them and you're an alien sandwich. Once you get some of the more advanced guns it helps but those things chew through ammo like there is no tomorrow so even though some of the pressure is off, when you run out of smartgun ammo, up goes the blood pressure again.

I'm really worried that, since you guys wont be playing the game it will loose some of the tension but I hope to counter that by making Harrison freak out as much as possible and try to up the scary by emphasizing various situations and whatever. Also, the game has great atmosphere, music, and sound effects so it should be good enough. Bonus points to people who watch the episodes at 3 am with the lights off, that should make it truly a mind-fuck.

Oh, and the first episode. I've decided to make it a REALLY long one so that I can get to shit-hits-the-fan part. So, that means, unfortunately, it's going to take a while to get the episode out but, trust me, it will totally be worth it. No idea when it will be done but probably not any time soon. Since I've got a good drive going to get it done I may have it done in a week or two but we'll see.

Okay, next item on the agenda...now, bear with me here. If you are sick and tired of Avatar then please skip this. I know, I know, I have issues. *Ahem*


If you haven't seen the other one then see that too.

FUCK! YEA! I can't wait, I've been cold turkeying (yes, I totally accept I am addicted to this movie) and not watching Avatar for about 2 months now. I'm saving up all my excitement for when it comes out. From what I know of the original script they added in all the best scenes. I think these scenes will really add a lot to the people who said "it'd be great if it had a little more character/plot development" and, at the very least, should add some of the more visually stunning scenes back in that were cut.

(Possible minor spoilers ahead)

From what I can tell they're going to add a sturmbeast hunt (which I'm worried will be a little too much like the Dances with Wolves buffalo hunt but the little snippet in the trailer have put my fears to rest), a scene at the beginning with Grace's old school (should add a lot to Grace's character), the full love scene between Jake and Neytiri (come on, who doesn't want to see this scene), a counterattack by the Na'vi after the humans destroy the willow glade (utral aymokriyƤ) (this should really flesh out why Quaritch goes so ballistic against the Na'vi and why Selfridge agrees to let him destroy Hometree), the scene between Hometree getting destroyed and Quaritch launching his full offensive where Selfridge tries to stand up to him but Quraitch basically says "what are you going to do about it little man?" (this should help a lot with Selfridge's character as he really was way too stereotypical in the original), more action scenes in the final battle (who doesn't want that?), and, finally, a cute scene of Neytiri chasing the little spinning lizards (which I love her smile in) that I believe happens near the beginning.

I also hope they add the scene where the other human Avatar drivers rebel and, with the help of the Na'vi, take out Hell's Gate, but that's a long scene and I don't think it would add that much so I wouldn't be surprised if they left that out.

Anyway, totally stoked for this, also, I'm really excited to see if they dump any new Na'vi language in there and see how well I can pick it up since I've all but memorized the Na'vi in the movie right now. Ahhh, I've never been this fanatic about anything, not even Lord of the Rings. I can at least understand why the Twilight fanatics enjoy feeling that way, it's fun to just passionately enjoy something so much that it becomes irrational.

Okay, enough of that, I don't want to lose every single person who reads my blog. So, yeah, Harrison's Mind soon, can't wait. Also, if you don't watch Felix's Mind I'm in the latest episode and will be in some of the episodes after that playing Barney Calhoun (told you I'd reappear as him sooner or later :P). I think some of the dialog came out a little forced since I was unsure of the context and was trying to match the original dialog so that the lip-syncing worked out. Overall though I think the dialog works well, especially the in-joke about douchbag. :) Also, as with Chell's Mind, Corky put in a funny little line of mine at the end. :D

Oh, and finally, I've become so addicted to Cyh's book it's almost as absurd as my Avatar addiction. She's got this crazy cliffhanger going on so I must go read that now. Muahahahahahaha! [Runs off cackling insanely]

P.S. Corky has convinced me that I must make a hilarious video of me chasing butterflies....don't ask, but it will probably happen. :D

P.P.S. No, I don't know where I put my sanity. I think it's still in the car, let me go look.

28 comments:

  1. I thought that Avatar while certainly visually stunning had a very poorly done and derivative plot and poor characterization. It came off as more of an action film than the Sci-Fi epic I was hoping for, I hope that by adding in more material (as well as the upcoming sequels) some of these problems will be fixed and the series could become a fantastic universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a strange, STRANGE group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I really must suggest that after you're done with AVP2 you should check out the new one that came out. There is only one cutscene that isn't from the first person and the marine never says a word throughout the whole game. Making it a perfect setup for a mind series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @StreetKid: Yeah, my brother just got that game and it looks really nice. A few things turned me off though, it seemed a little less scary (but close enough), and it seemed like there was less there to really make it a good mind series (but it probably gets better), but the biggest reason I don't want to is THEY PUT EVER DAMN CLICHE LINE FROM THE MOVIE IN THERE!!!

    SERIOUSLY, did they just forget to hire writers? I mean, in the first hour of play time you hear so many things like "they're coming out of the goddamn walls!" "so stay frosty" "game over man!" etc.! It's just ridiculous. I don't know if I could do that as a mind series.

    In any case though, I will definitely think about it but, as of right now, I'm not planning on it (plus, how could you explain Harrison's voice showing up there?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @danielcdawson: Um, Ian already knows that, so is the other Mind creators. He also mentions this in his post on July.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ian What do you mean explaning Harrison's voice in the new game?

    Btw, my uncle just released "Part 1" of that star wars fan film I was telling you about. It's at
    www.alightinthedarknessfilm.com under "The Film." Plz go check it out and tell me what you think. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rallinale Whoops, I'm an idiot. Just forget I said anything. In fact...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey ian now that you have an extra 5 mins what do you plan on doing with?


    maby a title card at the star of the episode
    or perhaps a anser to a comment at the end of each episode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anon: I'll probably just keep things the same, but this will allow me to do some more things and no more two part episodes. Though, I like your idea of answering a comment at the end of each episode. I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo! Got almost all the footage done. Looks like you guys are in for a half hour 2 parter episode. This is going to be great (at take forever, but we'll ignore that).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I can't even spell any more:

    "and take forever..." is what I meant. Time for bed.

    (fuck, I don't want to sleep. I'm on a roll tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So are we going to have an Alien Sandwich joke? I quite liked that comment lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. take your time, man. If you rush it, it might not be as good. BTW how is your book coming along we haven't heard anything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Lord Psymon: What joke?

    @Ryan: Yeah, definitely not rushing it, that's for sure. My book is progressing slowly, it's definitely a very complex book to write so it's going to take a long while before I even have a chapter out, but it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry if I'm being pushy Ian. But I wanted to know if you are going to check out part 1 of my uncle's fan film. You didn't acknowledge the comment so I wasn't sure if you saw it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I will, just gotta find the time to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, Thanks a lot! Btw, you said something about cliches being a problem with a mind series in the new AVP game. What exactly do you mean by that. Me personally, I see no problem. Then again. I've never made a mind series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, Blue Shift is a bit scary. I find it that way because the 2nd level is always dim. as is the basement/steam tunnels, and generator places.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wait. What? Blue Shift? Scary? Pffff, that's like the least scariest game ever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't you know anything?! AVP2 aint nothing compared to E.T., actually I dare you to not only play and beat that game but also make a mind series out of it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Avatar-level obsession?! STOP THE PRESSES! Clearly the book has driven you off the deep end. FASCINATING... o_=

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Anon: Huh, maybe I should play it sometime.

    @Cyh: Oh yea, totally obsessed about the book. I'd try to learn Shimari but so far I have nothing to learn it with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Ian: It's not a complete language--it falls together as I write. At the moment, I'm working on the declensions and conjugations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, if you ever get something written up I'd love to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Ian: Duly noted! It'll happen eventually. I can FEEL it. *creepy voice*

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Cyh: *creepy grin* I look forward to it. Muahahah, we'll be able to talk without anyone knowing what were saying! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

    ...oh, wait, people probably have no idea what we're talking about anyway. XD

    ReplyDelete