Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Back from Na'vi Language Workshop Vacation Thing

Alrighty, totally back from my little weekend linguistics vacation. I had a blast, learned a lot, stayed in a wonderfully beautiful area of California called Sonoma, and met some really wonderful people.

So, back story, went out to California for the weekend to study and develop the Na'vi language with it's creator, Dr. Paul Frommer, and 15 other linguists and Na'vi enthusiasts from (literally) all over the world. We spent two days studying the language, using it, and finding gaps in it that needed to be filled for it to be more of fully-fleshed out language.

Why might you ask? Well, for one reason it was a lot of fun, only there could I shout "ting makune" (a horrible Na'vi mispronunciation by Sigourney Weaver in the film) and get 16 people all but rolling around on the floor laughing. Other than that I learned a lot, both about California (never been there or even across the Rocky Mountains) and about linguistics in general. I mean, most of these people are PhD level linguists and I could follow along totally when they mentioned things like patientive case markers and mirivity and such (at least until they started talking about really weird or obscure languages, I'm looking at you Lojban). It was wonderful to learn from these people and to share the experience. Plus, we got treated to an amazing camp and host and we all had such a wonderful time

So, yeah, it was a ton of fun, definitely a good experience, I learned a lot, and I met some really great friends. Well, actually, they were already my friends I suppose, I've been talking with them online for almost a year now.. Who says you can't make true friends over the internet these days? Hell, I bet one could even find true love without ever meeting someone in person. Why not? (Gah, totally missed my girlfriend during this whole thing, but it was still awesome)

Anyway, I'll stop boring you with details and just show some of my favorite pictures. I'm the dorky looking one in the LearnNavi.org shirt XD

P.S. Apparently I had a fan girl too, it was so cute, she "squeeed" and hid behind a tree when she found out who I was. XD

P.P.S. Also, yes, I totally got Karyo Pawl's (Teacher Paul's) signature. ^_^ I'm such a nerd.

Stuck in LaGuardia
Got sent down to Atlanta, GA of all places. Heck, one more state and I could have gone to visit Cyh.
The hotel.
The people. The guy on the left came from Scotland.
Driving through Sanoma, CA.
The camp where everything took place.
The gang, getting ready for Na'vi stuff.
More of the gang, that's me 2nd from the right.
Went for lunch outside.
It was so nice we did the 2nd part outside.
After that we went for a hike.
More hike, I have no idea what Taronyu (Richard) is doing here.
A 360+ year old redwood tree.
It's huge. Yes, I know it's ironic we held this meeting around the biggest trees in the world.
At the summit of the hill, not a bad hike.
More hike, about to go back down.
Around the campfire, yes we made smores.
The whole group the next day.
Shenanigans
Does this count as tree hugging?
A really cool mossy wall.
We made a funny word. XD
Yeah, we're totally being serious about this linguistic meeting. >_<
Me and Paul Frommer
Back to San Francisco...and we're passing by Eureka apparently. I'll put that town right up there with Buttzville.
Back in good, ol' Maine.
So, that was my trip, I had fun. Now, back to Harrison's Mind...*goes off to play some video games or watch some TV* ^_^

12 comments:

  1. FIRST!!! (Because I'm awesome.)

    ...Now to read the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cyh: Hah! You're hilarious. It's almost like I tell you to come here so you can post "first". XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cyh: You always win!

    @Ian: Damn, you're so lucky that you get to meet Dr. Paul Frommer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, Eureka is waaaaay north of Sonoma, near Oregon. Nice to see you visit the North Bay though, in the county north of where I live. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. tl;dr

    I kid. I'd totally like to go see that area, it looks awesome as.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ian: That is awesome that you got to do that! Glad to see you had fun. :-)

    When I saw the picture with the Eureka highway exit sign on it, I was thinking, "Where is this guy going??" lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, you totally have to post that insane word. It's like trying to say antidisestablishmentarianism with a mouthful of marshmallows and peanuts!

    *smirk* That poor girlfriend of yours, all alone for two whole days...I'll bet you still talked to her constantly, you hopeless romantic, you.

    You should've gone to Eureka. I hear they have a death ray. *evil laugh*

    @Rallinale: Of course I always win. I'm awesome, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Cyh: Hahah, for those who don't know it's this word shown here: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs005.ash2/33614_752124264839_5803405_40929849_6148362_n.jpg

    The phrase is: "Po täpeykìyevERkeiup nìnäk!" Which means "I'm happy that he's will apparently about to drink himself to death." It was an extreme (hilarious) example we created to show that Na'vi can get pretty crazy if you put every infix you can into a verb. Something like this would probably never EVER be used but it's still funny to try. I'm getting close to being able to say it but it's hard with only one stressed syllable.

    Anyway, I love your description of "with a mouthful of marshmallows and peanuts", HAH!

    Yeah, two whole days, I know it's so long, right? She's so sweet though, it was fun chatting with her. And, yes, I totally talked to her each day. Yay for pirated internet at the hotel; Linksys across America!

    Hahahah, Eureka is a pretty awesome town name if I may say so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ian, Cyh, Simon, Curtis, and Robin if you're there:

    Please do a Mind episode involving all of you guys gettting stuck in a locker in Half Life. LOL, I think that would be funny.

    P.S: I hope that once I make a Mind series, I can join in on Meeting of the Minds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anon: That's not a bad idea...I most ponder this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ian: Maybe it should be a remake of Barney's Mind episode 15: Part 2 or a remake of Shephard's Mind Episode 12.

    P.S: Will Shephard ever get his teleporter gun back?

    ReplyDelete