Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Computer - Part 1

SO! Big new guys. I just played with Teh...


Okay, enough of that.

But my other big news is that I have recently purchased the parts for a brand new PC! Named by Cyh it shall be called the Jolly Roger (continuing the obligatory pirate naming scheme where my desktop is PiratesCove and my lappy is PirateShip). I'm SUPER excited about it, mostly because I've been agonizing over parts for the past month or so and it's cost me a lot.

Total price tag (not including monitor, keyboard, mouse, headphones) is a little over $1,400 (US).

Yeah, that's a lot but it's been LONG overdue as my current desktop is just about to become 7 years old in about two months (excluding the video card which is only about 2 years old...but it's a semi-yucky AGP card so it still sucks). Plus, it's worth it, I bet I'll be able to upgrade this thing to be a great PC for the next 2 years at least and, as my current system shows (for which I paid about the same price back in 2004), I'll probably be able to keep this system playing the latest and greatest games for at least another 5 years or so.

Anyway, enough back-story, you guys just wanna see the shiny stuff, right? The computer will be a state-of-the-art PC, there's really not much more power I could squeak out of this without going really ridiculous and spending another $1,000.

First off, the case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 - $99.99

A nice case with 4 large fans which should have a great balance between noise and cooling. I may pick up a fan controller for the top two if they prove to be too noisy. I love the cable management at the bottom of the case and it should look great with the black and blue MSI mobo (below).

The motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) - $164.99

This one took some fighting with as all the motherboards using the P67 chipsets were recalled earlier this year for a problem with the 3 gb/s SATA ports. It wasn't a "OMG my board is ruined now" problem, but I'm glad they recalled it. However, it meant stocks are limited and I had to wait until now to buy everything.

The CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz - $224.99



This is what I'm most excited about. The Sandy Bridge CPU's offer about a 25% performance increase over the Nehalem i5s with only a $20 price increase. In addition, the K-series (unlocked) i5 is EXTREMELY overclockable. Most people are reporting OCing the i5-2500K to 4.3-4.5 Ghz with stock heatsinks and only minor voltage tweaking. Plus, since it's unlocked, I can OC the CPU and the RAM/GPU separately. This will be really useful later on in the life of this PC.

The GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti - $259.99


I was kinda on the wire about what to get for the GPU but I knew I wanted an nVidia card so that I can use their 3D Vision system (below). I eventually settled on the GTX 560 Ti as it offered very nice benchmarks at a fairly reasonable price. I chose the EVGA version for their customer service and quality (and looks) even though the Overclocked Gigabyte 560 Ti has about 10% more performance at the same cost.

The RAM: 2x G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4 GB - $84.99 (total)

Again on the wire about this one but after looking at prices I decided on the slightly lower speed PC3-10666 RAM and got 8 GB (vs. 4 GB) of it in two sticks to take advantage of the dual-channel motherboard. I was hesitant about the color choice (red in an effectively all blue and black desktop case) but decided that a little splash of red wouldn't hurt. The only thing that worries me still is that the higher heat-spreaders might contact a larger CPU fan if I decided to upgrade and OC my CPU. If it does then I guess I could just go watercooled. :D

The PSU: Corsail Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX PSU - $99.99

I think this one I might have goofed on. It's perfect for what I need right now but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been worth it to get another hundred watts or so. If I get another video card down the road and SLI it with the 560 Ti then it would be really annoying to suddenly be short 50 watts and have to get a new PSU. Either way this is a great PSU with PLENTY of amps on the 12v rail and enough watts to power plenty of externals.

The nVidia 3D Vision System: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit - $124.99


This is going to be the real stand-out thing on my new PC. About a year ago I purchased a 120 hz LCD monitor with the intent of purchasing this kit when I bought a new PC. Since then more reviews about how great this is have been posted and the price has come down a lot (~$200 when I first looked at it). So, I'm super excited to see what L4D2 and HL2 look like in 3D. I loved the 3D on Avatar so I highly, highly doubt I'll be in the minority of people who find these 3D glasses give them headaches. In the future I may hook up a blue-ray drive to the PC and get Avatar 3D whenever it comes out Samsung and Fox stop being idiots.

The Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30 Watt 2.1 Speakers - $32.99

My old desktop speakers are dying. I could fix them but I really don't care to since speakers are so cheap. Also, since I'll now have two desktops it makes sense to have two sets of speakers. I didn't go crazy with speakers though, mostly because I play games at night a lot and speakers bother the downstairs neighbors. However, I wanted ones with decent quality as whenever I'm home during weekends I love to crank the sound on a good song/movie.

The other stuff:
  • 1 TB WD Green SATA2 HDD - $69.99
  • 500 GB WD Caviar Black SATA3 HDD - $59.99
  • ASUS SATA DVD/CD RW drive - $18.99
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - $139.99
  • LOGISYS UV Cold Cathode - $4.99
 I should have everything by Friday and I'll probably get it all assembled and running some time this weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Talk about weird timing, I just purchased myself a new motherboard for when I begin production on Bonnie 2.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same model I picked out for Curtis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Ian!!! *hugs*

    *gives cake* ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Nice new computer *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!!!!! Thank you Cyh. *hugs* *eats cake* ^_^

    Thanks Puppyz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry i didnt post this yesterday,so HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!its hilarious bcuz mybest friend just got a lot of the same stuff you did!ROFLMEWBARK!!well,good luck with the comic thing,and harrisons mind!PEACE!

    ReplyDelete